Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(September 1992)

Subject: Re: coversion to digest
From: arnold @ Synopsys . COM (Arnold de Leon)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 92 12:47:00 PDT
To: mef @ te6000 . otc . lsu . edu (Michael E. Fox (OTC - 203 D. Boyd)), firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sep 24,  1:43pm, Michael E. Fox (OTC - 203 D. Boyd) wrote:
} Subject: coversion to digest
}
} P.S.  "Just read it all at the end of the day" is not really an option
} if you are constantly monitoring your mail for security alerts and other
} "need to know right now" things.  Maintaining a separate login id to
} send this listing to is also needless complication.
}
}-- End of excerpt from Michael E. Fox (OTC - 203 D. Boyd)

	But I didn't expect this list to be the place to look
for "security alerts" that need immediate action.  There are
other channels (other mailing lists and newsgroup) of alert
type announcements.

	I thought we were going to discuss firewalls and
issues surrounding them.

	When I saw the volume I changed my .procmailrc to start
routing mail from this list directly into a seperate mailbox.
I can read it at my leisure and it doesn't clutter my main mailbox.
(consider that a plug for procmail).

	I think it's pretty premature to rush into a newsgroup.
A digest has drawbacks too.  Remember we all work different
hours, a digest could end up delaying participation from many
people.  The decision on how and when to read the mail is
best left to the local user/site.

Arnold de Leon  			arnold @
 synopsys .
 com
NCS					Synopsys Inc.
(415) 694-4183				700 E. Middlefield Road
					Mtn. View, CA 94043-4033

Indexed By Date Previous: arggggggh!