Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1992)

Subject: what shall thy firewall hardware be?
From: Bill Wohler <wohler @ sap-ag . de>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1992 21:26:38 +0100
To: firewalls-digest @ sap-ag . de
Phone: +49 6227-341658 Home: +49 6221-163255

  after absorbing the information in "practical unix security" and
  this list, i'll be creating a firewall of my own (yes, bryan, it
  appears we're finally going to get an internet connection).

  chances are we'll use a cisco router as the choke and an hp 710 as
  the gate.  however, i'd be interested to hear what people like as
  chokes and gates--and--what they don't like.

  just occurred to me that i might not be able to get two network
  interfaces in the hp 710.  if this is the case, what is the danger
  in setting up the router so that it only passes traffic from both
  the external and internal networks only to the gate?  is it better
  to get a gate that has two network interfaces?

						--bw

Indexed By Date Previous: trusting routers