Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1993)

Subject: Re: bogus email
From: randy @ psg . com (Randy Bush)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 93 21:24:54 PST
To: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> Ident is a useless toy. Anyone who trusts what Ident says
> clearly doesn't understand the situation.

I trust it to tell me what the other host responded.  But I am too old to
take anything as the absolute truth in this world.  I am also too old to
disregard possibly useful information.

In all crack attempts on my hosts where authd/ident info was gathered, it
was useful to the site admins at the source of the attempt.  Sure, some
day it'll be bogus.  As long as I am aware of the mechanism behind the
data, I will not be misled far.

In today's Internet, debugging and snark hunting are too hard not to take
any data I can.  But, indeed, the reliability all data should be suspect
and all mechanisms should be understood.

Indexed By Date Previous: Ident server