Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1993)

Subject: Firewalls policy on posting cracking code
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ mycroft . GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1993 09:52:48 -0800
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

After much thought, and consultations with various experts and advisors,
I've come to the conclusion that the posting of cracking programs (like
the one posted a few days ago to exploit the current Sendmail bug) to
the Firewalls mailing list exposes Great Circle Associates to undue
risk of civil and criminal legal action.

Therefore, I'm making it the policy of the Firewalls mailing list that
the code for cracking programs should NOT be posted to the mailing list.

As a further consequence of this new policy, I've edited the Firewalls
and Firewalls-Digest archives to remove the particular message recently
posted.

I'm not interested in debating this on the list.  If you have comments
or suggestions, please address them to me in private email.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Sendmail bug (feature ?) - is this it ?