Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1994)

Subject: Re: Socks and DNS
From: Vincent Gebes <vgebes @ nct . spin . ad . jp>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 1994 14:47:25 +0900
To: hp90101 @ internet . sbi . com
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . com

> The other problem is that having built sockd and rtelnet they don't appear
> to be talking to each other. In fact when I run rtelnet, sockd does not even
> start. I have tried telnet'ing to 1080 to check I have got inetd.conf right
> and that starts sockd OK. ( well not so OK :-) )
>
> When I run rtelnet I get:
>
> rtelnet/rtelnet 146.169.2.10
> Using SOCKS protocol ver. 4 to proxy server hadrian
> Trying 146.169.2.10...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

When we first started using the SOCKS package, I was having a similar
problem, though other users' were having no problem.  When I asked the
guy who installed it, he had me change the SOCKS_SERVER environment
variable from the hostname of the server to the IP number. i.e.
before :  setenv SOCKS_SERVER hostname
after  :  setenv SOCKS_SERVER 111.111.111.111

This solved the problem for me...

Vince Gebes
Spin Project
AT&T Jens