Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1994)

Subject: Two security issues
From: hkatz @ nucmed . med . nyu . edu (Henry Katz)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 02:53:53 EST
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Dear Firewalls readers,

I am absolutely astounded that not a peep has been heard on this group
since the CERT advisory last Thursday re widespread internet breakins.
Today's WSJ said UCB, Texas and other sites were attacked probably from
PA and Phoenix. Any comments?

I also noted today, as I am currently involved in database administration,
that the sybase user passwords are easily grep'd out of the master.dat
files. Did I miss something here? This isn't strictly firewall related and I
shall cross-post to security groups.

|Henry Katz                                                     |
|ISCS, Inc (212)685.3057                                        |
|Currently on contract to                                       |
| Lehman Bros                    |          (212) 464.3363 (tel)|
| 388 Greenwich St               |          (212) 464.3118 (fax)|
| NY NY 10013                    |          hkatz @
 lehman .
 com    |

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Possible Mail Delivery Failure to My UserID