Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1994)

Subject: restricting Internet Access
From: richard @ wizard . ucs . sfu . ca (Richard Chycoski)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 08:50:59 PST
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

>   Schipper> We've installed a firewall that works two ways. We
>   Schipper> consider the internal network as save (or unsave) as
the
>   Schipper> Internet. So every connection that originates from
within
>   Schipper> the internal network has to go through our firewall as
>   Schipper> well.

Troost> I'm confused by this; do you mean internal->internal
connections go
Troost> through the firewall? Or do you mean you need to stop
internal people
Troost> from cracking external machines?? I find that if you have to
protect
Troost> yourself against internal users, the best recurse usually
involves
Troost> security guards and not technical solutions.

If you are running a University (or otherwise 'uncontrolled'
environment) network, it isn't unusual to consider the internal users
as much of a security risk as those external to the organisation.
Students don't have the same accountability to the management as
employees of a company.

---
- Richard Chycoski                    richard @
 sfu .
 ca (NeXT Mail OK)
  Senior Systems Consultant
  Academic Computing Services
  Simon Fraser University

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Two security issues