Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1994)

Subject: Re: Can you print from a chroot'd process?
From: mjr @ tis . com
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 94 22:31:53 EST
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM, johng @ weema . chi . uwa . edu . au

>My problem is that users of the package need to be able to print.
>How can I do this from within a chroot'd process (with min effort :-) without
>impacting normal (non chroot) users?

	Should be able to make a lpd spool directory, copy in a copy
of "lpr" and /etc/printcap, and then make all the printer entries
"rm=" remote machine entries, so it goes to the local host over the
network. I think that will work, but man is it ugly. Expect some
serious fiddling to make it work.

	Another possibility is to have it write to a file in some
queue directory and have something someplace else sweep the directory
every 5 minutes and print anything it finds. That part need not be
under the chroot.

mjr.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Gopher server on a unix host