Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1994)

Subject: Re: Slip on Solaris 2.3
From: "Mark R. Ludwig" <Mark-Ludwig @ uai . com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 07:01:16 -0800
To: lee @ bgers . co . uk (Martin Lee)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

>>>>> On Fri, 11 Feb 94 09:02:16 GMT, lee @
 bgers .
 co .
 uk (Martin Lee) said:

Martin> 	Does anyone know of a PD SLIP Package that will run on
Martin> 	Solaris 2.3 ?

No, but how about PPP?

There's something called "ppp" which (I assume) you start and stop
manually (or at least from outside the package itself); ask Archie
where to find it.

There's something else called "dp" which is an automatic dial,
connect, wait, and hangup package wrapped around a version of ppp.
This thing is enabled at boot time and is designed to manage the
modem(s) itself with no administrative interference during use.  Users
indirectly cause the modem to dial by using FTP, TELNET, etc.  You'll
find sources in ftp://phoenix.acn.purdue.edu/dp, and discussion of it
at dp-list-request @
 acn .
 purdue .
 edu, in case you're interested in