Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1994)

Subject: Re: Firewalls Digest V3 #48
From: owen @ netcom . com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 10:03:11 -0800
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> My problem is that users of the package need to be able to print.
> How can I do this from within a chroot'd process (with min effort :-) without
> impacting normal (non chroot) users?

No spool directory, no local connections to the printer, no problem.  The
chrooted process accesses the printer over the network through a socket.

> I'm running SunOS4.1.3, but will eventually go to Solaris 2.x.
This works in 4.1.3.  As for 2.x, your mileage WILL vary, as the Solaris
printing mechanism appears (IMHO) overly complicated, and underly

> We sit behind a strict packet filter and have users with virtually no
> network knowledge except for the ones who know the root passwords anyway,
> so a security through obscurity solution may be acceptable.
> I don't need to restrict access to particular printers and am able to force the
> package to print via any command I like.
lpr will do.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: DNS through a packet filter
From: db @ whitney . sunbim . be (Danny Backx)
Next: Re: Gopher server on a unix host
From: "Fuat C. Baran" <fuat @ watsun . cc . columbia . edu>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: YAATBAFM
From: mjr @ tis . com
Next: Re: Firewalls Digest V3 #50
From: owen @ netcom . com

Search Internet Search