Subject: Can SOCKS do this?
From: "Rob Tanner" <tanner @ george . arc . nasa . gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 09:02:58 -0800
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

I've looked through the SOCKS man pages and can't find anything to say
it won't, so let me ask:  Can I use SOCKS on a firewall to allow
certain hosts outside the firewall to telnet or ftp in?

And if that works, and it appears everything is done by port numbers,
I should be able to allow custom (i.e., home grown) services through?
Yes/no?

All the above, of course, assumes the machines on the outside are
using SOCKS aware applications.

-- Rob Tanner
   tanner @
 george .
 arc .
 nasa .
 gov

Indexed By Date Previous: SOCKS/xmosaic question