Subject: Re: Hey the crackers have a new twist 8-(.
From: ajl @ Orion . MC . Duke . EDU (Arne J. Ludwig)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 21:31:32 -0500 (EST)
To: mjr @ tis . com (Marcus J Ranum)
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> 	After all, if you're worried about a disaffected employee,
> then you have to worry about him leaving all sorts of digital time
> bombs around your internal network, leaving the building with a DAT
> filled with proprietary data, or telephoning your competitors and
> giving away the store.

This is not strictly true. At one university where I were, all the tape
drives and other removable media devices were kept in one room that was
monitored by the manager of computing services, and every bit that went
out had to be confirmed by his signature. With the advent of campus-wide
networking this power weakened and with Internet it went away.

Unimaginable today in a university, a company can easily enforce this.

Telephoning doesn't transfer data (unless he brings in a private pocket
modem) and can be traced easily, unless the person uses a calling card.
And one even could look out for that.

The problem is disaffected employees that happen to be still there.

Arne