Subject: Re: producing source routed packets
From: Marcus J Ranum <mjr @ tis . com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 12:35:32 EDT
To: danny @ cwis . unimelb . edu . au, pjh70 @ eng . amdahl . com
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

>> How to test source routing should be on the FAQ.  How many firewall FAQs
>
>I wholeheartedly agree.  Please put the above info in the FAQ, including
>how to actually source-route telnet using the client.

	I've been reluctant to add information to the FAQ that might
re-open the endless (useless) debate as to whether or not to disclose
techniques that might be useful to cracker and admin alike. I'll think
about adding something for the next version..

	With respect to posting frequency: the FAQ is archived on
rtfm.mit.edu, and other places, including ftp.tis.com.   I've refrained
from posting it weekly, or even monthly, since it'd just clutter up
an already extremely cluttered mailing list. It's been my experience
that lots of the new folks on the list who ask FAQ questions aren't
likely to read the FAQ in the first place, or to wait for a weekly
posting; they seem to join the list and instantly post asking "so
what is a firewall, anyhow?"

mjr.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: DOS Bastion host