Subject: re: Vendor Recommendations
From: Marcus J Ranum <mjr @ tis . com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 12:37:27 EDT
To: HIST1A @ jetson . uh . edu, amolitor @ anubis . network . com, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Andrew Molitor writes:
>	When you say TIS GAUNTLET, do you refer to the actual forsale product,
>or the firewall toolkit? I'd imagine the toolkit is trickier to set up
>than a shrink-wrapped application.

	In case there's some mis-conception, Gauntlet(tm) is NOT the
same as the toolkit, nor is it a "do it yourself"er.

	Gauntlet is TIS Firewall Toolkit pre-configured on a '486/66
pentium-upgradeable system running BSDI. In addition to the toolkit
software that everyone's already familiar with, Gauntlet supports a
systems management/configuration interface, audit (realtime and
periodic) reduction tools, system integrity checking, software
update tools, and some useful kernel hooks to further increase the
firewall's security. It is a dual-homed gateway; the system comes
with dual ethernet interfaces.

	So -- please -- don't confuse the product with the toolkit.
The product *includes* the toolkit. The fact that we're releasing
a product doesn't mean anything with respect to the availability
of the toolkit -- the product relies on the toolkit. What we're
selling is the integration, packaging, support, hardware, etc,
all preconfigured on a nice hot little box. We'll continue to
maintain the toolkit as we've been doing, and hope the community
continues to find it useful.

mjr.

Indexed By Date Previous: re: Vendor Recommendations