Subject: RE: Security of Appletalk and Dial back modems
From: Mark Verber <verber @ parc . xerox . com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 08:51:47 PDT
To: johng @ ichr . uwa . edu . au
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 21 Jul 1994 10:07:38 +0800 (WST), John Gibbins <johng @
 ichr .
 uwa .
 edu .
 au>
said:

> His arguments saying that it is safe consist mainly of: ....
>
> I suggested that all they would need is a packet sniffer and they could go
> a LOT further.
> His response was that there are not any generally accessible packet sniffers
> available for Macs, only some very expensive commercial ones.
>
> Is this last statement true?

I don't know that the current status of sniffers is today, but in
1990 there were at least three packet sniffers for Macintoshes that
were reasonably availible.  If memory serves, one was AppleTalk only
sniffer from Apple, another was an AppleTalk and IP sniffer from CMU,
and the third was AppleTalk and I think IP from either Brown, Dartmouth
or Umich.. I can't remember which.  Sources to the CMU sniffer were
floating around for awhile.

Classifying the commercial sniffers as "very expensive" seems extreme.  I
might call them expensive ~$400.  Secondary, just because a package costs
money doesn't mean that people have to by it.  If a person is breaking into
machine, one can assume they don't worry about minor issues like copyrights.

--mark

Indexed By Date Previous: feedback on the likes of plug-gw