Subject: Re: your mail
From: z056716 @ uprc . com (LaCoursiere J. D. (Jeff))
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 12:59:40 +0600
To: kovar @ NDA . COM, rali @ hri . com
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> : > I have to disagree -- AIX is better choice solely because SunOS 4.1.X is
> : > sooo far out of date.  It takes hundreds of patches, and replacement of
> : > most system utilities, to bring a SunOS box up to anything close to a
> : > secure state.  I'm no great fan of IBM, but at least they dont ship
> : > systems with the sendmail debug hole.
> :
> :   My understanding is that SunOS 4.1.3_U1 contains that long list of
> : patches, including the ones for sendmail. I will not swear to it,
> : but it is worth checking out.
>
> I just finished setting up a host on our DMZ with U1 -- there's a /new/
> long list of patches ...
>
> Most of the old 4.1.3 patches are rolled into U1, tho'

I applaud Sun for being so open and reactive to these issues.  I waited
over 2 months for IBM to send a patch for the /bin/login stuff recently.
Try to find a "patch list" for AIX!  Actually, this may not be fair; I
may be looking in the wrong places or not frequenting the right user
groups.  "Seems" more difficult, though.

Jeff LaCoursiere
Network Admin
UPRC
Ft. Worth, TX