Subject: FW: FW: NCSC and modern ratings
From: "Johnson-Bryden, Ian" <IJB @ saicuk . co . uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 94 09:41:00 GMT
To: "'Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM'" <Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>
Encoding: 40 TEXT

 ----------
From: Marcus J Ranum
To: IJB; Firewalls
Subject: Re: FW: NCSC and modern ratings
Date: 28 July 1994 17:05

>Looks like all the ratings and such arent helping the military:

        I don't get it.

        On one hand, we have folks demanding to know why they can't
connect to the Internet and "do everything we want, and with perfect
security too!"  And on the other hand, we have folks laughing at the
military when they get broken into.

        Anyone see an inconsistency here?

mjr.

No inconsistency, human nature always wants to have the cake and eat it.

Maybe also that most folk dont really understand security. Reading
'Firewalls' it seems to me that many are more motivated by the technology
than the need to fit it.

What doesnt help the intelligent understanding of the subject is the type of
media hype which chris posted on Firewalls - not his fault, he just read it
and passed it on.

The fact is that there is a lot of available technology (much of it appears
to be invisible to the Firewall community), and the only way you can be sure
you spend funds wisely and hit the balance between access
control/restriction and availability is to build and maintain an effective
Risk Policy.

Ian JB

Indexed By Date Previous: unsub