Subject: Re: prevalence of sniffing ?
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ mycroft . GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 10:17:56 -0700
To: francis @ avalle . insoft . com (John [Francis] Stracke)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

francis @
 avalle .
 insoft .
 com (John [Francis] Stracke) writes:

#
# >> ifconfig le0 on a sun will let you know if the device is in promiscious
# >> mode.  cert also has a program that will let you know if the interface is in
# >> promiscious mode.  this only works on suns (which is where most sniffing
# >> is being done).                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#
# Um.  If you can't trust ifconfig, how can you trust a binary you got
# from CERT? If you can get the source from CERT, then you can port it
# very quickly to other platforms; I've found that this stuff is fairly
# uniform.  (StudlyVendors who muck around with the semantics of Unix
# internals don't bother much with the network-interface subsystem,
# apparently because it's not frequently used enough to impress anyone.
# ;-)

Who said anything about getting a binary from CERT?  As far as I know,
CERT doesn't distribute binaries for anything; everything they have is
source-only.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates  | Call or email for info about
Brent @

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: unsub