Subject: utility of socks
From: "Eric A. Litman" <elitman @ proxima . com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 1994 12:55:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

I'm considering a few firewall possibilities for a client site, and am
looking for a bit more info about Socks. I'd like to know if socks will
do proxy routing, such that I can have an internal internet who's
addresses are unknown to the outside world, with a box running socks to
forward traffic back and forth. The model looks like this:

(net 1.2) -> {[host 1.2 interface] -> (socks) -> [3.4.5 interface}]} -> [3.4.5
server] -> (world)

In briefly reviewing the socks documentation, I saw a blurb about
supporting multihomed hosts. In this capacity, the host with the 1.2
and 3.4.5 interfaces could not do ip forwarding, as the 3.4.5 server
does not know of net 1.2. A point to point protocol would be running
between the dual-homed host and the 3.4.5 server.

Is this within the capabilities of socks 2.4?

--
Eric Litman                   Proxima, Inc.              vox: (703) 506.1661
Director, Network Services    McLean, VA                elitman+ @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: TIS toolkit and Mosaic