Newbie to security
I've recently been elected *security expert* for a new research project
and so I've been listening in on this list for a few weeks now (& also
reading bundles of documents). I'd like to post a few (silly?) questions
so that some kind soul out there can lessen my confusion.
Here goes ...
1. What is/was the internet worm? How did/does it work?
2. What is SATAN ? I've seen it referenced a few times and it seems to
be a sort of security testing tool.
3. Can a screening router distinguish packets according to the type of
protocol utilized? For example, can I filter only TELNET requests
and have HTTP requests go through without filtering?
Since the TIS toolkit seems to be quite popular within this forum...
4. Does the TIS toolkit include any encryption/decryption tools?
5. Does the TIS software include client modules. I imagine that if I
change my server software (TELNET GW), I will have to change the
client side as well in order to handle any authentication or
6. Do the TIS proxy servers reside on a seperate dedicated machine
(i.e. the 'FIREWALL system') ?
Sorry for your time and attention. I am grateful to whoever replies.
Joseph Favia Jr.
Olivetti Ricerca S.c.p.a
Via Fanelli 206/16
70126 Bari, Italy
Email : jofav @