Subject: Re: Well Known Port Numbers
From: Mark Krause <mkrause @ UU . NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:18:49 -0400
To: lazar @ netevolve . com
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Irwin Lazar wrote:

> I'm trying to find the well known TCP and UDP port numbers to allow
> access to Usenet and WAIS but can't seem to find them in any of the
> reference materials I have.  Does anyone know of or have this
> information?

Both of these are hard to find, since they are usually listed
via NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol) for USENET, and
Z39.50 (the standard that WAIS is based on).

USENET aka NNTP = TCP 119
WAIS aka Z39.50 = TCP 210

The following are good resources for looking up port numbers.

ftp://ds.internic.net/std/std2.txt Assigned Numbers RFC 1700

The strobe.services file in the strobe distribution
located at ftp://suburbia.net/pub/strobe.tgz

Appendix G "Table of IP Services" in "Practical UNIX &
Internet Security" 2nd Edition from O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

--
Mark Krause                UUNET Technologies, Inc.   http://www.uu.net/
Senior Security Engineer   3060 Williams Drive