Thanks for all the feedback. Answers to a couple of the questions asked
1) These folks only want to run a client on Win 95, which can then pick
up mail from their smtp firewall.
2) It is the guts of the cc:Mail crashing, not the SMTP gateway that it
uses to connect to the firewall. Apparently many tables got changed and
show users in post offices where they are not. When mail comes in to
these users it is then rejected as "User xxxxx is not registered"
Apparently this caused a loop on some List servers on the Internet.
The users are still there but the mail never reaches the correct post
3) Some other shops apparently also have users trying to bypass
cc:Mail connections to Internet mail because of unreliability.
4) I am not The Dawg. I admire his skills and imitate his style. Don't
think he will be back in the US until the statute of limitations runs out.
5) Web searches produced a lot of useless leads. The feedback from
this list was FAR more helpful.