Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Dial-out modem pool
From: Rabid Wombat <wombat @ mcfeely . bsfs . org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 20:52:29 -0500 (EST)
To: Marcus Sutliff <msutliff @ michaelgrp . com>
Cc: "'Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM'" <Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Marcus Sutliff wrote:

> I don't mean any disrespect, or to step on anyone's toes, but
> 'TRANSPARENT TO THE USER' is an important need that is overlooked if the
> user must Telnet to a host.. Try to explain TELNET to someone (as
> Dilbert would say--explain it to your boss or someone in marketing) in

Telnet access can be scripted, and the script launched by an icon,
clicked by a moron. You can even get clever, and have the local script
check the local username, and pass that to the telnet session, in case
the user can't remember who they are. Procomm and WRQ both have excellent
scripting capability.

I wonder if all the security on the front end of this could be bypassed
by the user entering a cleardown followed by a dial command if Hayes
commands are left enabled on the modem ...