Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Growing trend..
From: "John H. Stewart" <c101jhs @ sssd . navy . mil>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 97 08:59:49 -0800
To: mht @ clark . net
Cc: peter . gregory-unix @ mccaw-stg . com (Peter Gregory), firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

You wrote:
> OK, the growing trend for companies is produce a product which
> interoperates with other products that other companies are
> manufacturing at some point in time either they strategically align
> together or combine themselves together to make one entity instead
> of two.. The growing trend in the last few months is for policy
> type products and intrusion type test companies to merge with
> firewall software and/hardware companies. This takes care of the
> product side of things.
>

> Over the summer months and early fall, we saw the big auditing type
> companies combine their work force together to enhance their
> consulting type offerings and combine their customer base.
>
> The next logical step is to combine product companies with the
> auditing type companies..
>
> The final step after that is to combine the auditing companies and
> the long distance carrier companies together.. combining all
> product, all people and telecommunication together.
>
> One stop shopping..
>
> my .02

	After a brief review of history, this trend was in process when former President T. Rosevelt gain fame as the "Trust Buster".  Hence, railroads, steel and oil were diverted from various "consolidation" efforts.

	More recently, Judge Green divested another "one-stop-shop" in the form of AT&T.  In the same timeframe, IBM sucumbed to the cry on monopoly.

	Less than five years ago, downsizing and divesting interests made Wall Street investor happy.  Today, consolitation of efforts makes Wall Street investors happy.

	The only thing changing is the merry-go-round is moving faster.

	John Stewart