Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: Steve Kruse <jsk347 @ sprynet . com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 18:23:42 -0500
To: Jyri Kaljundi <jk @ stallion . ee>, Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: Yuval Yeret <yuvalyrt @ netvision . net . il>

I believe that your statement is a bit broad in scope.  There are many
cases where an NT firewall would perform adequately for Intranet
applications.  There are a great number of variables as to the performance
requirement for an Intranet.  The same can be said of the various NT
solutions on the market.

I would not feel comfortable making the suggestion that Solaris is the ONLY
solution without getting more detail!

Steve Kruse
At 08:02 PM 12/8/97 +0200, Jyri Kaljundi wrote:
>Yuval Yeret <yuvalyrt @
 netvision .
 net .
 il> asked:
>>        But I would like to hear from people who use NT or other OS
>>        for heavy-duty firewall's, and what they use as a platform.
>>        The main issue is, can NT scale up to Unix, given the right
>>        hardware ?
>I don't think NT can be used as an Intranet firewall. If you want heavy
>duty, go with Solaris Sparc. If you have a budget but still want a
>reliable Unix, choose Solaris x86 on Pentium Pro.
>In Intranets you probably want to do 100Mbps real soon if you are not
>using it already, and NT TCP/IP I have heard gives out much less as I have
>For easy to use and fast firewall box, please look at Ipsilon running
>FireWall-1 (
>For Check Point testing results on NT vs. Solaris, please see
>Jyri Kaljundi
>jk @
 stallion .
>AS Stallion Ltd
* jsk347 @
 sprynet .
 com (Personal E-Mail)        *
* skruse @
 milkyway .
 com (Company E-Mail)        *

Indexed By Date Previous: Novell BorderManager