Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Wingate?
From: Bret Watson <lists @ bwa . net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 10:47:08
To: ark @ mpak . convey . ru (-= ArkanoiD =-)
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

At 04:03 PM 12/8/97 RST, you wrote:
>nuqneH,
>
>Does anybody have expirience with software product named "Wingate"? It
seems to
>be something like cheap entry-level firewall system for Windows 95 and NT.
>People often do ask me if they need a "real" firewall or Wingate is enough
for
>them. So the questions are how good is it from the viewpoint of

Not really its more a SOHO internget gateway. >
>a) security
It provides NAT so that you can load up a whole pile of people on one
dial-up IP - this is about all the security it does provide, though there
seems to be some basic packet filtering/proxy work. I think the proxy is a
proxy cache not an application proxy...

>b) control and monitoring features
Pretty good actually - beats MS RRAS hands down - I set this up in about
two minutes and it worked!
lets see I think it does most of the normal stuff - look at wingate.net
-there shold be a two user demo available...
>d) administration
not too bad - not a lot of reporting though
>e) performance
OK for two to three users - don't know after that, I suspect it wouldn't be
suitable for more than ten users.

A good test would be to get webdown (avail nonags) and mirror a site with
the connections set at 100 - if it doesn't load down the web server then
you should get an indication of how well it handles lots of web connections..

Cheers,

Bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
Providing the means for your company's self-defense
consulting @
 bwa .
 net                      http://www.bwa.net/
ph: (+61)(08) 9429 8898(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9429 8800

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: Stepken <stepken @ www . firmen-info . de>
Next: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: "Craig I. Hagan" <hagan @ cih . com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: RE: Wingate?
From: rabbi @ www . valuu . net (Rabbi Haim Cassorla)
Next: RE: Wingate?
From: James Strompolis <jimst @ enteract . com>