Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: ekleinfe @ putter . vanguard . com
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 10:48:12 -0500
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: ekleinfe @ advsys . com

"Craig I. Hagan" <hagan @
 cih .
 com> wrote:
> Just picking three capriciously, BSDI, FreeBSD, and linux, i'd hazard that
> they could do a damn competetive job with solaris x86 in terms of
> performance/response time.[1]

Your dead on.  But the problem is beyond the architecture and the OS in most
cases.  Your looking at the basic Price/Performance charts, and even though
your conclusions are valid, what tends to throw these solutions out the door
is support and brand name.

When it comes down to it, the only thing your manager and upper management
want is the ability to make that phone call and have someone out within a
few hours to make the necessary fixes.  And when you, as the designer, draw
up the proposal, you can, in most cases, make a good bet that the
people seeing the proposal would rather see 'Sun', or *maybe* 'BSDI' when it
comes to UNIX.  It's unfortunate, but it tends to be that way in medium to
large corporations.

It's the name and support that the manager gets caught up in, even if you
have good unix security consultants on call, management wants a large name
with the support contract to be responsible for their hardware and software.

I am in no way saying that this is a bad thing, only that it reduces/limits
your options when making firewall decisions.

-Erik

Default .sig:

You know the basics, everything above my opionion, yadda, yadda, yadda.