Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: Clyde Williamson <clydew @ ee . net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 00:42:16 -0500
To: mcnabb @ argus-systems . com (Paul McNabb), firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

If automobiles had that kind of performance we'd be outraged. Of
course if we had to put vendor specfic gas into them we'd be outraged
as well.

Microsoft is accepted today because it's easy. The world is becomimg
full of IS Managers, Sys Admins, etc. that are too lazy to deal with
an authentic network operating system like UNIX (any flavor) or
Novell. Unfortunately, this infrastructure being built on Bill Gates
back is weak... you get out of it what you put into it. And right now
M$ is putting nothing into it. What does this mean for the future?
Either, NT goes through a major evolution (hint: cut and paste the
kernal and OS code from Linux), or Infrastructure will come crashing
down around our ears.....

- ----End Mini-Rant----

At 01:06 PM 12/9/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>  From: "Craig I. Hagan" <hagan @
 cih .
 com>

>>  Consider: a small office wants to firewall off its finance
department
>>  which has ~5-20 people. Everyone uses 10M ethernet. the system
should work
>>  during business hours. An occasional outage is reasonable, after
all, the
>>  desktops also wipe out every now and then, too.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Isn't it sad that after more than 15 years of building and selling
hundreds
>of millions of desktop systems and seeing trillions of dollars of
revenue,
>we have come to accept unstable, hacked-together systems as normal
and
>reasonable instead of shocking and unforgiveable?

>Paul McNabb                     Argus Systems Group, Inc.
>Vice President and CTO          1809 Woodfield Drive
>mcnabb @
 argus-systems .
 com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
>TEL 217-355-6308
>FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"

Clyde Williamson
PGP Public Key found at http://users1.ee.net/clydew/pgp.htm

"My uncle always said that there was more
than one way to skin a cat....
I guess that explains the fur pants."