Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: "Craig I. Hagan" <hagan @ cih . com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 02:25:57 -0500 (EST)
To: Matthew Patton <patton @ sysnet . net>
Cc: ekleinfe @ putter . vanguard . com, Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> sell you Linux (specifcally RedHat) support for a tidy sum. Ok, maybe Linux
> can't rival Sun for vendor "clout" or name recognition...

name recognition is definately starting to get there. things like corel's
NC will seriously help. as for vendor clout, everyone should be looking at
the billy-club, especially mr ellison. I've been amazed that oracle
refuses to admit that their product runs on linux and *bsd -- let alone
that it obliterates NT on same hardware tests (i'm not going to say what
happened to SCO...).

you'd think that companies that want to push NC's as a competetor to MS
would have the savvy to realize that recommending their competition's OS
as opposed to merely supporting it is guaranteed to cost them in the long
run. Out of curiosity, can someone verify this number: for every two
copies of NT server sold, MS sells one copy of backoffice. If this is
true, then anyone looking to sell mail servers, RDBMS systems, etc on NT
server is gonna be in for a rough ride.

-- craig

Craig I. Hagan     "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
hagan(at)cih.com        "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
  	"It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

	Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!
	     http://www.cih.com/~hagan/smtpd-hacks

                       In Bandwidth we trust