Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: NT or not?
From: "Mark 'segfault' Guzman" <root @ lsd . pbx . org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:08:23 -0500 (EST)
To: Matthew Patton <patton @ sysnet . net>
Cc: "Niemann, Darrel" <EMAIL!BGII!NiemannD @ ballygam . attmail . com>, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Matthew Patton wrote:

> >If NT is indeed not the best choice, should I seriously consider Solaris?
> >Even if noone here knows UNIX?
>
> You should use NEITHER of the OS's without considerable inhouse experience.
> NT is just as dangerous as unix, more so but not so obvios purhaps. Sounds
> like you're a netware shop. Purhaps sticking with Netware is a good idea?
> Granted, I don't know just how good Borderware is or not.

I started using Linux at 13, I dont think you need a lot of inhouse
experience to set it up. You can get a LOT of help on irc (EFnet
specificaly). Securing it isnt too much of a problem, just go to
rootshell.com and check the linux security pages. Netware... bleh, stable
for an internal lan, but I dont like using it for much more than that.

.--------------------------------------------.
Murphy's Corollary:
  It is impossible to make anything foolproof
  because fools are so ingenious
Mark Guzman -=- Liquid Synergy Designs
                seg @
 lsd .