Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: NT as a central intranet firewall
From: ferraris @ biella . alpcom . it
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:22:18 +0100 (MET)
To: Billy Verreynne <vslabs @ onwe . co . za>
Cc: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM, David Lang <dlang @ diginsite . com>

On 11-Dec-97 Billy Verreynne wrote:

>Talking about performance - you know which multitasking o/s gave me
>the best stability and performance on my old 386 box some years ago?
>Linux - and that after I've tried both Win95 and OS/2. :-)

I have not so much experience, but my feeling (I'm a Linux fan since four
years) is that today this could be true also on power multiprocessor
systems (maybe now NT is as reliable as Linux, but Linux has better
performances, high development and corrections rate).
NT is more user friendly and this one is really a big thing. Linux is
not very expensive ;-) and that is a big thing too, but I think that
for really mission critical projects Linux could be better because you
have sources.

Regards,
                Andrea ferraris

---