Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: DoD Red Book...
From: "Gary Kessler" <g . kessler @ hill . com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:47:13 -0500
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Hi all!

Thanks for the responses. I have found the rainbow books at a number of places, including:

I also recived a reply to my message that I thought I would forward. It is anonymous at the original author's request...

>I should warn you about a couple of things.  First, the phrases
>"Novell claims ..."  and  " ... are *designed* to meet ..."  are red
>flags for marketing hype.  You really cannot depend on these claims
>to have any relationship to reality.  I can say my Nissan pickup is
>designed to meet C2 requirements.
>Also, the Orange Book is the basis of the requirements.  The Red Book
>is an *interpretation* of the Orange Book requirements, for networks &
>network components.  I should also warn you that the Red Book is pretty
>cumbersome and inconsistent in places.  Part 1 of the Red Book is not
>used within the evaluation community, except as reference material.
>None of my observations has any bearing on whether the product is good or
>not. And Novell does have products that have actually been evaluated.

Thanks all!

Gary Kessler                        +1 802-655-0940 (main office)
Hill Associates                     +1 802-655-8659 (direct line)
17 Roosevelt Highway                        +1 802-655-7974 (fax)
Colchester, VT  05446                            kumquat @
 hill .
PGP Public Key:

Indexed By Date Previous: Question on a DNS setup for dual-homed gateway