Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: +!%*!* mail!
From: Rabid Wombat <wombat @ mcfeely . bsfs . org>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 10:12:37 -0500 (EST)
To: Chris Brenton <cbrenton @ sover . net>
Cc: Takacs Istvan <anonymus @ mail . matav . hu>, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

(sorry, deleted the original post, so the advice below may not apply)

Have you tried telneting to port 25 on the target server, sending a HELO,
and then doing a VRFY user @
 wherever .
 etc ... ? Try this from inside the
firewall, and from outside, and see if you get the same response (and
also find out if you get "no such user" even from inside).

-r.w.

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Chris Brenton wrote:

> Takacs Istvan wrote:
>
> > We have about 140 users who use the MS Exchange 5.0 Server
> > and in some cases the firewall sends that error message below,
> > backward to the sender to the external network.
>
> Sooooo, what kind of firewall?
>

> > What does this message means?
> >
> > > szrtfw2.szerencsejatek.hu unable to deliver mail to the following
> > >recipient(s):
> > > istvan .
 takacs @
 szerencsejatek .
 hu:
> > > istvan.takacs:
> > > No such user
>
> I would guess it means "no such user" ;)
> Are you running a proxy of filtering? I would guess a proxy that keeps a table
> of all e-mail address mappings. The user needs to be added to this list in
> order to receive mail. This can usually be done by have the user send a
> message to someone on the Internet. Most proxies will create the mapping
> automagically.
>

> > I checked if the users didn't set up properly, but they have
> > the same profiles as the others.
>
> Um, since it is the firewall generating the error message, did you check the
> config on the firewall as well?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
> --