Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Extremely Evil Site ( NOT!)
From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw @ wittsend . com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 23:27:19 -0500 (EST)
To: edkinsr @ axon . co . nz (Edkins, Rob - Axon AKL)
Cc: Joe . Thompson @ directline . co . uk, Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Edkins, Rob - Axon AKL enscribed thusly:
> Hi Joe,

> OK, so "Evil" is a major overstatement, and apologies to anyone who
> feels maligned,

> but links that freeze your IP stack  (and there didn't appear to be any
> warnings on those) and necessitate re-booting are
> not particularly benign. Some O/S really hate that kind of thing!

> I have since been back (carefully!) and there is some interesting stuff
> there. I still wouldn't allow anything active though.

> Call me paranoid - it's my job!

	My job too...  I ran across that site the other day and went over
it with a fine toothed comb.  It was hilarious!  Highly recommended for
those looking for some entertainment and willing to take some precautions
first.  First precaution, don't do it from Windows!  :-)  I run Linux on
my workstations at home and at the office.  It's really funny examining the
site thinking about what could have happened if I was running Windows!
Disclaimer...  There are a few links that I chose not to follow but will
examine later with Java off.  I don't trust ALL of this even under Linux.
They may not be able to exploit those assinine security holes in Windows
against Linux (the ones that give up your user id and password in clear text
to a hostile page) but that doesn't mean I would trust just any sort of active
page component on my system either....

 Thompson @
 directline .
 co .
 uk]
> > Sent:	Wednesday, December 17, 1997 3:15 AM
> > To:	Firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
> > Subject:	Re: Extremely Evil Site ( NOT!)
> >

> > Now, now kiddies, don't get excited. I've been reading DigiCrime for
> > years
> > and unless you're a total dork, nothing even remotely bad will happen
> > you. Kevin McCurley (?) and his mob put up DigiCrime to point out some
> > of
> > the flaws in current browsers and other bits of potentially dangerous
> > stuff. I highly recommend this site, and urge you to have a look
> > around.
> > Some of the stuff on there WILL crash your browser - but not before
> > warning
> > you. In any case, none of the stuff will cause permanent damage but
> > you may
> > need to reboot.
> > Vist the site and have a laugh. www.digicrime.com
> >
> > Legless.