Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Firewalls-Digest V6 #585
From: Michael <mike @ messages . rapiddata . com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:04:46 -0500 (EST)
To: reynhout @ quesera . com, plarkin @ iphase . com
Cc: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM, mike @ rapiddata . com

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 reynhout @
 quesera .
 com wrote:

> Your post got gatewayed to the firewalls-list, I guess.
>
> The problem is that smap does the delivery locally, and by the time
> smapd moves the message to the sendmail queue, it has lost the usual
> indicators of where the message came from.  It may even try to be
> "smart" and rewrite the envelope so it looks like the message originated
> within your domain.  (oops!)
>
> The best solution: use qmail.  Information at:
>
> http://www.qmail.org/

I just have to step in here for a brief second..

<RANT>

Reasons NOT to use qmail.

  * ugly source code
  * it's another rather large and complicated thing to learn
  * everyone and their mother knows a thing or two about sendmail
  * qmail is incompatible with _itself_!
	example: the the popmail setup is retarded .
  * it seems that all of the qmail features need to be merged
    into the source.  it's not made very clear which of the patches
    work the best, or which ones to use.
  * debugging qmail is a bitch, it is silent about errors
  * sendmail is relatively easy to configure if you use the m4 stuff
  * sendmail does everything you would ever need.

Do yourself a favor:

 Download the latest version of sendmail from ftp://ftp.sendmail.org/
 Download juniper smtpd from http://www.obtuse.com
 Study the docs ( Subscribe to bugtraq while you're at it )
 Install the software.
 Get on with your life.

</RANT>

I had to put my 2 cents into this.  I've seen qmail recommended
many times, though i can't quite figure out why most people
would want to use the damn thing.

( I do have to say that the qmail.org homepage looks a zillion times
better now since the last time i checked =)

Mike.

// Michael Jastremski, Rapiddata Processing, Internet Division * rapiddata.com
#  Located in Sunny Glenside Pennsylvania, USA, http://rapiddata.com
!  mike @
 {rapiddata .
 com,westphila.net,temple.edu}