Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: Firewalls-Digest V6 #595
From: "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr @ sandelman . ottawa . on . ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 02:01:32 -0500
To: Firewalls @ greatcircle . com
Cc: olga @ spbex . ru

    Olga> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:28:34 +0300 From: "Demina Olga"
    Olga> <olga @
 spbex .
 ru> Subject: Online Information & WWWServer

    Olga> Hello all.  We are going to put our "public access" WWW Server in
    Olga> DMZ.  On the other hand, we have to public online information from

  I assume that DMZ == network between firewall and border router. An
increasing number of documents use the term to describe a network attached to
a third network interface.

    Olga> the secure LAN serment on "public access" WWW Server.  So the
    Olga> problem is: Public WWWServer have to get online information from
    Olga> secure network.  How to organize connection between DMZ and our
    Olga> secure network?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

  There are two options:
	1. allow WWW server to access master database server
	2. replicate database to slave server and use that

  Which option is best depends on the relative sensitivities of your networks
and the information involved.

  In general, putting the WWW server behind the firewall, on a third
interface is my first recommendation. That allows the WWW server to be
protected from attacks, and prevents other nodes from trying to
impersonate the WWW server to the firewall.

  Having done that, I say:
  1. if the data doesn't need to be up-to-the-instant (for appropriate
  definition of "instant"), the consider replicating the database. A
  number of commercially available databases can replicate in both
  directions with good security on what can be updated. Doing it under
  NT in my experience, without Microsoft file sharing, is a major
  pain. Give me SSH and/or Perl's FTP module and Unix please. Now that
  SSH win32 command line utilities are available, and another year
  (since I tried) of NT perl5 development, and it would be easier.

  2. if the data does need to be up-to-the-instant, then can the
  master database live on the service network (third interface) with
  the WWW server, or on the same box? If you need to access the
  database from the private network, can you proxy it from the private
  network to the service network? That is safer than allowing the
  service network to inititate to the private network.

  3. encrypt. I have no confidence in any encryption done by any
	database vendor I have seen.

  4. is the database the most important thing on your private network? If
	so, then your security policy should perhaps be rethought.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |   I do IPsec policy code for SSH <http://www.ssh.fi/>
 Personal: <A HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html";>mcr @
 sandelman .
 ottawa .
 on .
 ca</A>. PGP key available.
 Corporate: <A HREF="http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/";>sales @
 sandelman .
 ottawa .
 on .
 ca</A>.
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Proxy firewalls (was: configuring Ciscos' As proxy)