Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: On Sendmail
From: Jonathan Care <jonc @ netcetera . co . uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:07:16 +0000
To: guard @ cnnic . net . cn
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

> I have met trouble with the popular sendmail server.
> Anybody can tell me what to do ?
> My mail server runs on SGI IRIX 6.2 workstation.

Check if you are running Sendmail V5 or V8. If you are running V8 then you
can use a check_rcpt rule in your configuration file.

The MAPS TSI resource has a list of solutions to prevent your mailer being
used as a spam relay at

There are also a number of anti-spam tips pages at:

As a final note, a lot of people question whether sendmail is appropriate in a
firewall, due to its complexity.

Jonathan Care, Netcetera Ltd.      Tel: +44 973 744192 Fax/VMB: +44 1256 421214
Mail: jonc @
 netcetera .
 co .
 uk                Web:
PGPkeyID: A9F9E79D                      Support MAPS & RBL(

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: FireWall for Dial-In Users