Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(December 1997)

Subject: Re: off topic: ssl setup on web server - now browser crypto strength
From: "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg @ quick . com . au>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 12:50:07 +1100 (EST)
To: Pauline van Winsen - Uniq Professional Services <Pauline . van . Winsen @ uniq . com . au>
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Pauline van Winsen writes:
>> Of course folk outside the U.S. are stuffed anyway, until a decent
>> non-U.S. based browser (not limited to 40bit RC4) comes along.
>> I don't think there is any interest in any govt anywhere to see this issue
>> solved to the satisfaction of net users though.

>has anyone checked out fortify?

>http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Plaza/6333/

Yes I had a lok at it and it works very well.  I had no trouble setting up
128bit sessions to an apache server.  Problem is that whether the author
wrote this thing outside the U.S. or not, he chose a U.S. based site? as
home for it :-)  so we are back to all the shadows of ITAR.

The other problem with something like fortify is that it may provoke the U.S.
govt into revoking export of all versions of netscape etc.

Like I said, a non-U.S. origin web browser is the best solution... :-)
(Oh, and I don't see that happening anytime soon :-)

--sjg