Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: How do we stop the spam...i have one idea...anyone else ?
From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts @ clark . net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:45:15 -0500 (EST)
To: Danny Gumport <dgumport @ dannygumport . com>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Danny Gumport wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:00:33 -0500
> From: Danny Gumport <dgumport @
 dannygumport .
 com>
> To: firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
> Subject: How do we stop the spam...i have one idea...anyone else ?
>
> All,
>  I have also received a large number of junk emails
> that seem to be directed through greatcircle.coms mail
> gateways...seems to have been getting
> worse over the last few weeks.

I've not seen these, but my ISP proactively filters spam.

>  The porn advert that was mentioned this morning was one.
>  the Talkpower.com one was a public one...
>  Seeing as we all care about security - email spam
> is a security threat... how can we all work together to

Spam is a content issue, NOT a security threat.  From a security
perspective, there is no difference in accepting one SMTP transited
e-mail over another.  If you haven't sufficiently engineered your
gateways to handle large ammounts of e-mail, they'll just as easily die
from legitimate e-mail.  If your gateways have problems with unbouncable
e-mail, they'll just as easily die from a legitimately misconfigured
client.  I don't like spam just as much as anyone else doesn't like spam,
but it is not a security issue.

> stop the name lifters and people who send things to our whole

You can filter out this stuff locally, there are some filtering pointers
somewhere under http://www.cauce.org.

> list ? the Talkpower ad says to send them mail to get off their
> mailing list but it is addressed to firewalls @
 greatcircle .
  .
  .

> can the mast of this last do some scripting that says if there is a
> trailer to request removal that that mail get auto magically sent
> to remove firewalls from the spammers list and to not forward
> it to us otherwise innocent folks ?

Half of the time those trailers are there to gather lists of legitimate
addresses who respond, so that's not a solution.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts @
 clark .
 net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280