Subject: Re: FW: IPX through a firewall
From: Rabid Wombat <wombat @ mcfeely . bsfs . org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:17:35 -0500 (EST)
To: Michael Meyer LJO <Michael . C . Meyer @ digital . com>
Cc: "'shimons @ bll . co . il'" <shimons @ bll . co . il>, "'firewalls @ greatcircle . com'" <firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>

Letting UDP throguh firewalls is generally a bad idea.

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Michael Meyer LJO wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam:
> 	Please read RFC1234 located at
> http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1234.html
> <http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1234.html>
> This memo describes a method of encapsulating IPX datagrams within UDP
> packets so that IPX traffic can travel across an IP Internet.
> Sincerely,
> Michael C. Meyer
> AltaVista Technical Support
> altavista-support @
 digital .
 com <mailto:altavista-security @
 digital .
 com>
> http://support.altavista-software.com/
> <http://support.altavista-software.com/>
> Use web site for immediate partner support.

 bll .
 co .
 il'
> Cc:	'firewalls @
 greatcircle .
 com'
> Subject:	IPX through a firewall
>
> Dear Sir or Madam:
> 	There are few IPX firewalls out there so you would probably be
> better served using an IP firewall. Send your IPX to an IP gateway then to
> your firewall. Your best bet would be to use Novell NetWare 5.0 with native
> IP support. See LAN Times, March 16, 1998. Even though Novell has offered an
> IP-based solution for some time with NetWare/IP, that solution merely
> "wrapped" the NetWare IPX traffic in IP clothes.
> Sincerely,
> Michael C. Meyer
> AltaVista Technical Support
> altavista-support @
 digital .
 com <mailto:altavista-security @
 digital .
 com>
> http://support.altavista-software.com/
> <http://support.altavista-software.com/>
> Use web site for immediate partner support.
> Date:	Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:24:51 +0000
> From:	shimons @
 bll .
 co .
 il <mailto:shimons @
 bll .
 co .
 il>
> Subject:	IPX through a firewall
>
> If I need to transport the IPX protocol through a firewall, what would be
> the pros and cons (security wise) of the following options:
> 1.	route IPX through the firewall ignoring it completely.
> 2.	route IPX through a separate router and use the router's ACL
> 3.	use an IPX firewall (anyone has recommendations/horror stories?)
>
> pls. CC me as I only read the digest form of the list
> TIA, Shimon Silberschlag

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: cable modem security
From: Clyde Williamson <dclydew @ interhack . net>
Next: FW: FW-1 redundancy
From: Ray Ricardo <ray . 06 @ worldnet . att . net>
Indexed By Thread Previous: RE: cable modem security