Subject: Re: Laptop security / CMW variants
From: Vin McLellan <vin @ shore . net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:49:22 -0500
To: Perry <perry @ openix . com>
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Perry <perry @ openix . com> queries the List:

>1) Can anyone recommend a laptop security product that supports full disk
>encryption via a pcmcia card, a bonus would be VPN support for remote
>authentication issues. I have reviewed PC/DACS over the past week which
>is a software encryption/access control package, but the encryption
>segment leaves a lot to be desired security wise (not to mention that the
>product sucks).

Check out: <http://www.spyrus.com> I just picked this announcement up off Bizwire.

Suerte,

_Vin
----

Kasten Chase Applied Research Limited (TSE-KCA) today announced a joint sales and marketing agreement with SPYRUS, a leading electronic commerce company based in San Jose, California, to provide high performance, high security cryptographic technology as part of the world's first PCMCIA FORTEZZA(R)-based secure remote access solution for government agencies.

Under the agreement, SPYRUS has developed a FORTEZZA(R)-enabled version of its proprietary Locksmith software application and its LYNKS Privacy Card(tm) for use with Kasten Chase's remote access products. Kasten Chase will deliver secure remote access solutions that include the SPYRUS family of hardware and software products. The SPYRUS products, bundled into the offering, will add desktop protection functionality to the solution that already provides authentication and encryption technology.

"Our partnership with SPYRUS is an example of our commitment to offer a total secure access solution to the government and financial markets," said Steve Ducat, vice president of sales for Kasten Chase. "Our partnership with SPYRUS , a leader in cryptographic desktop technology, adds important media encryption capabilities to our existing security portfolio, thereby positioning our offering to become the de facto standard for FORTEZZA(R)-based secure remote access."

SPYRUS has developed a customized FORTEZZA(R)-based version of its Locksmith(tm) media encryption software for use with Kasten Chase's OPtiva Secure Plus. Locksmith adds another layer of security features to a remote access application by combining a personal identification number (PIN) with the SPYRUS PCMCIA-compliant LYNKS Privacy Card. LYNKS Privacy Cards enable security-critical capabilities -- user authentication, message privacy, message integrity authentication, and secure storage -- for a FORTEZZA(R)-based media encryption solution.

"SPYRUS is leading the e-commerce industry in FORTEZZA(R)-based hardware and software solutions for high performance, high assurance Internet data access and security solutions," said Charlie Scruggs, director of sales for SPYRUS. "Remote access security is becoming an increasing problem for companies, with over 14 million people working from home or remote locations in the United States alone. With solutions such as those developed by SPYRUS and Kasten Chase, the travelling road warrior will no longer need to be concerned about the loss of a laptop computer and the potential damage resulting from misuse of critical corporate information."
<snip>

---------------

>2) Has anyone done a comparison between the different MLS and/or CMW
>oriented OS' (ie Trusted Solaris, HPUX CMW, OSF CMW)? Any information
>would be greatly appreciated.

I too would be interested if you find a good repository for this sort of comparitive info. You might check out the Dockmaster discussion groups. Contact
the NISSC office at the NSA to arrange for access.

-----
"Cryptography is like literacy in the Dark Ages. Infinitely potent, for good and ill... yet basically an intellectual construct, an idea, which by its nature will resist efforts to restrict it to bureaucrats and others who deem only themselves worthy of such Privilege."
_ A thinking man's Creed for Crypto/ vbm.

* Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin @ shore . net> *
53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: RE: cable modem security