Subject: Re: cable modem security
From: "Danny Johnson"<danny_johnson @ contcirc . com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 98 17:55:32 -0700
To: <firewalls @ GreatCircle . com>

        I think that's a little outdated. The cable modem (for @home
     anyway) runs on it's own fiber optic line which goes somewhere
     near your major cross streets. Then a coax line is ran down your
     street from which all the users are strung from there with coax
     leading to each house. This is a separate line from your tv
     cable. Before (I'm not sure how long ago) if you had file and
     print sharing turned on in win95 then it would be possible for
     anyone on your street line to view your hard drive by simply
     using the network neighborhood icon. Most modems today don't
     allow that even if you have file/print sharing on, i believe,
     especially the ones @home uses (Motorola and Lancity).
        As far as using a sniffer, I'm not sure as to what is
     vulnerable. The sniffer would have to be setup on the same street
     line to work. But this would only affect the transfer of
     information not the data stored on your computer which is what
     you were asking about. If the modem was hooked up directly to a
     hub there might be some security compromise as well.
        If you're really paranoid or you network multiple computers
     from your @home connection consider using some firewall software
     for use on pc's like pc-firewall or something similar.
        This is what I have understood, no correctness guarantee here.

     dj