Subject: Re: Bordermanager as firewall?
From: Cleber Luz Viana <cviana @ boavista . com . br>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 12:54:30 -0300
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Whe we test, some firewalls, i was test Border Manager. It is not only a firewall, it have some others features. The cool thing in Border Manager is run over netware, if u use netware in your network will be more simply to administrate your users. Other way, Novell never did a firewall, that is the first one.

>>> <klinec @
 mapcoinc .
 com> 01/04/98 19:56:57 >>>
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with Novell's Bordermanager as a
firewall?  We are in the process of selecting a firewall product, and one
vendor is going to propose Bordermanager.  I have to admit, I was a little
surprised.  I was expecting IBM Firewall (because we're an AIX shop),
Checkpoint, Cisco PIX, etc., but not Bordermanager.  I tended to equate
that product with MS Proxy Server.

We have a 400-desktop enterprise with eight Frame-Relay connected remote
sites, and are looking for a firewall solution for the entire enterprise.
In addition, we are in a rapid growth mode, and predict doubling in size
both in number of desktops and number of WAN-connected sites by year-end.

Any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curtis Kline
Network Engineer
MAPCO Coal, Inc.
Tulsa, OK

Indexed By Date Previous: Return of ICMP...