Subject: Re: cable modem security
From: "Craig I. Hagan" <hagan @ cih . com>
Date: 02 Apr 1998 18:14:01 -0500
To: Charles Getty <cgetty @ netvisioninc . com>
Cc: "'Brett Mayer'" <BMayer @ rfc . com>, "Firewalls (E-mail)" <firewalls @ greatcircle . com>

Charles Getty <cgetty @
 netvisioninc .
 com> writes:

> That assumes you can put the "cable modem" into a promiscuous mode....
> The cable modem is essentially a transparent bridge... Does anyone know
> of other devices that allow you to access the cable medium?  Is there a
> online copy of this article in 2600?

the lancity NCP box that i've got via mediaone is a smart
bridge: i only see packets directed towards my mac or the
broadcast. HOWEVER, one can easily snarf someone else's
packets with a few send_arp games (make them think that
the upstream router has a mac addr of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).
This will give you at least a few minute of sniffing until
you need to "refresh" their cache.

-- craig

Craig I. Hagan     "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
hagan(at)cih.com        "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
  	"It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

	Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!
	     http://www.cih.com/~hagan/smtpd-hacks

                       In Bandwidth we trust