Subject: Re: top 10 signs you've been hacked ?
From: Doug Wellington <ddw @ NSMA . Arizona . EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:49:35 -0700
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com
Cc: ddw @ cortex . NSMA . Arizona . EDU

Previously:
>Any have some entries for a "top ten signs you've been hacked" ?

Well, sounds like one of those tongue-in-cheek lists, but I definitely
think that number one should be something like:

1. "And the number one sign you've been hacked is that someone in the
Netherlands emails your root account telling you that someone has been
trying to break into their computer from yours..."

Others signs could be:
Some self-appointed IRC watchdog points out IRC traffic from your site.

Some process named "es" has used a lot of your CPU time.

Your tcp wrapper logs (you DO have tcp wrappers installed, don't you?)
don't match with the last log.

You can't change the root password without it switching back when you
login again.

NFR tells you so.

Oops, dinner time, can't think of any more right now...
-Doug

Doug Wellington
ddw @
 nsma .
 arizona .
 edu
Network and System Administrator
ARL, Division of Neural Systems, Memory and Aging
The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
(520) 626-6023
(520) 291-0481 pager
(520) 626-2618 fax

I DON'T buy anything from spammers, and I KEEP TRACK OF WHO SPAMS ME.

I put up with ads on the TV because they pay for programming.  When
spammers pay for the Internet, then I'll start putting up with spam.