Subject: Re: hi SPAM
From: Michael Conlen <meconlen @ intnet . net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:47:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: "firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM" <firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

> I wonder why you say that, because:
>
> 1. The starting of this threat was that somebody used this list for
> spaming
>
> 2. A firewall should fight against any unwanted traffic.

So does anyone know of a product which will allow you to dump email at the
firewall? Possibly a mail server in the DMZ which all host MX records on
the external name server points to, which then will scan the mail and dump
it if the content is unpermissable, and pass it along to servers inside
the firewall if permissable?

I know with Perl its trivial to write a program to check text for content
in the form of regular expressions. If this is applied to all incomming
and possibly outgoing email messages at the firewall you can block
unwanted traific.

I know its trivial to write because I've done it for my personal email,
however I've not tried to implement it at the mail server before it gets
to the mail delivery agent.

Being able to filter out all that damn email from Friend @
 public .
 com would
make your users a bit happier, and going the other way being able to
filter out outgoing source code and such will make the boss happy, though
depending on your companies email uses you may need someone to monitor
questionable email and decide if you want to forward it on, or dump it.
You may just catch the person leaking company secrets though.

					Groove on
					Michael Conlen
					meconlen @
 intnet .