Subject: Re: [FW1] SNMP agent
From: dreamwvr <dreamwvr @ dreamwvr . com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:35:55 -0600

hi Gary,
Last time i checked it did SNMP in the clear which is real uncool
and this was about 6 months ago according to my best knowledge of
this week;') it has not changed this way. The concept is sound and
is quite a time saver and such but the security of the protocol sucks:'<
Enough said.

						Regards,
							dreamwvr @
 dreamwvr .
 com

At 03:12 PM 4/13/98 -0700, Gary Mills wrote:

>I was asked to look into security issues with HPopenview SNMP Agent.
>Does any one have any experience or advice on any known problems with
>installing this agent on DMZ systems such as
>mail, web, ftp, firewall, etc... The idea is to monitor activity on these
>external system and send traps to the internal Hpopenview system. Iam not
>sure of the security of the agent or the daemons it may start.
>
>Gary Mills
>gary .
 mills @
 experian .