Subject: Re: socks versus fw-1 [Part IIb/II]
From: Frank Willoughby <frankw @ in . net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:30:55 -0500
To: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc @ citec . qld . gov . au>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Verily, at 10:44 AM 4/15/98 +1000, Colin Campbell did write:

>Hi,
>
>On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Frank Willoughby wrote:
>
>> At 12:59 PM 4/13/98 -0700, Ryan Russell allegedly wrote:
>>

>> >It wasn't so much a refusal on Checkpoint's part...
>> >If you think about it, the fact that they sell through VARs
>> >exclusivly means that they don't have customer lists,
>> >they have VAR lists.
>>
>> I can't imagine that what you are suggesting is right.  If it were,
>> it would be a signal that the company is severely mismanaged and
>> that the company is pretty much out of control.  While I disagree
>> with the level of security they provide, I wouldn't dream of
>> accusing them of gross incompetence or negligence - both of which
>> are implied in your statement above.
>>

>As strange as it sounds there are quite a few organisations that operate
>not knowing who their customers (or is that end-users?) are:
>
>Trusted Information Systems I believe knows only of their VARs/resellers.
>They sure as hell don't know who I am when I want support - I have to go
>through my reseller.
>
>We also have a couple of products from different major organisations and
>these products sit on databases for which the support contracts are held
>by the software vendor and not us. Can't get support in any way from the
>DB vendor.
>
>Colin

Perhaps it is the remote proximity of where you are located,
(not that it excuses anything) or that these are business
processes that the VARs / resellers set up.

Do you know if these processes are set up locally and with
the blessings of the vendor?

On the outside looking in, it seems to me that there are some
fundamental flaws in the revenue stream & the company's support
philosophy.  In any event, it is unfortunate that the company
doesn't have a tighter grip on its customer base.  They lose
(revenue) and their customers lose (support & confidence).
Hopefully things will change soon.

Best Regards,

Frank
The opinions of the author of this mail may not necessarily be
representative of the opinions of Fortifed Networks, Inc.

(c) Fortified Networks, Inc. - http://www.fortified.com/
Home of the Free Internet Firewall Evaluation Checklist
Expert (vendor-neutral) Computer and Network Security Solutions
Phone: (317) 573-0800     Fax: (317) 573-0817