Subject: Re: AW: Sniffer
From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr @ sybase . com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:19:35 -0700
To: Tony Iannotti <tony @ secapl . com>

They've told me that they are trying to get out of the
hardware business.  Specifically, that means the Notebook
Sniffer will rely on the user-supplied NIC.  Likely, there will
be a list of approved notebooks and cards, but the list would
be much larger than the handful of cards they resell now.

                    Ryan

Tony Iannotti <tony @
 secapl .
 com> on 04/15/98 06:36:55 AM

To:   Ryan Russell/SYBASE
cc:   "Berchtold Patrick (GIAPBE)" <giapbe @
 gia .
 ch>, "'Taufik Islam'"
      <Tislam @
 acaonline .
 org>, "Firewalls Mailing List (E-Mail)"
      <firewalls @
 GreatCircle .

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Ryan Russell wrote:

> Nope, it's now called SnifferPro.  Actually, what we got most recently
was
> both products in one box, the renamed NetXray (SnifferPro) and the
> Sniffer Anaylzer (traditional Sniffer from NGC, now up to version 5.5)

  Thanks for the info! (we had a subscription, but we let it lapse, so I
must be out of date.)

> The Sniffer Analyzer still needs one of the approved cards, and
> is still a DOS mode program, but it has great decodes.  The SnifferPro
> stuff runs great under Windows 95 or NT, and is visually more appealing.
> Doesn't decode quite as well, and has no expert module.   Uses whatever
> NIC you've got installed.  You can export the SnifferPro captures
> to load into the Sniffer Anaylzer.

  Yes, we've been told that the original Sniffer (which our network
manager has) can import the NetXRay (which I have) captures, but we have
not tried it yet. (I mostly use it for traffic alerts and network hog
detection.)

> When they finally get the two full merged, it ought to be really nice.

  Definitely, do you have any idea if that product would have the same
approved NIC requirements, or if that's a product of the old DOS source
tree?