Subject: Re: socks versus fw-1 [Part IIb/II]
From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts @ clark . net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
To: Ryan Russell <ryanr @ sybase . com>
Cc: Frank Willoughby <frankw @ in . net>, Steve Birnbaum <sbirn @ security . org . il>, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Ryan Russell wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:59:44 -0700
> From: Ryan Russell <ryanr @
 sybase .
 com>
> To: Frank Willoughby <frankw @
 in .
 net>
> Cc: Steve Birnbaum <sbirn @
 security .
 org .
 il>, firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
> Subject: Re: socks versus fw-1 [Part IIb/II]
>
> It wasn't so much a refusal on Checkpoint's part...
> If you think about it, the fact that they sell through VARs
> exclusivly means that they don't have customer lists,
> they have VAR lists.
>
> If you don't like companies selling through VARs, that's fine.
> That criticism might be quite appropriate given just such an
> occasion.
>
> You should imply that they refused to notify people though.
> They didn't have the opportunity whether they wanted
> to or not.  Convieniently for them, they did exactly as they
> should have, notified the VARs and put something on the web
> site.

Like Frank, I have a serious problem with companys that don't directly
support their products.  I've seen FW-1 VARs decide that they didn't want
to be in the firewall business anymore, leaving sites to hunt up a new
reseller.  I've been told that Checkpoint will support places under these
circumstances, but it still leaves quite a gap.  If the VAR tanks and the
administrator leaves as well, a lot of sites will be left in the dark.
Vendors who don't offer direct product support don't even make my list.

Being able to notify customers of problems and not doing so is a
different animal than not being able to notify them.  I'm just not
certain that we see the same one as a larger problem.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts @
 clark .
 net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280